LGBTQ+ Cultural Competency in Higher Education
August 14 | 8:30am-12:00pm |Hilbert College, Bogel Hall – Room 101 | 5200 South Park Ave., Hamburg, NY 14075
Cost: FREE | Registration Deadline: August 1
The WNY Service Learning Coalition is excited to collaborate with the Pride Center of WNY to offer LGBTQ+ Cultural Competency in Higher Education.
All WNYSLC members, including faculty members, higher education professionals and community partners are welcome to attend.
Topics discussed during the training will include:
- Defining and discussing LGBTQ+ terminology
- Understanding aspects of identity
- Recognizing the difference between sex & gender
- Creating safe, welcoming and culturally aware spaces
- Students’ rights and experiences in the college setting
- Addressing concerns such as bullying, confidentiality, gendered spaces and the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA)
- How to best support students off the college campus (internship sites and service learning partnerships)
- 8:30am-9:00am: Check-in and light breakfast
- 9:00am-12:00pm: LGBTQ+ Cultural Competency in Higher Education program with Q&A